Today is World Pet Memorial Day; a special day dedicated to honoring and celebrating the lives of the beloved companion animals we have lost from all around the world. A day to remember together the impact that these special relationships have on our lives, and to recognize the ones we have lost together.
On this day, we invite you to take a moment of silence with us in honor of our loved and lost. Take this moment to think of your beloved companion animal or animals and let your mind wander as it navigates memories and emotions.
“Take one hand and hold it gently on your heart as if you were holding a vulnerable human being. You are.
As you continue to breathe, bring to mind the loss or pain you are grieving. Let the story, the images, the feelings come naturally. Hold them gently. Take your time. Let the feelings come layer by layer, a little at a time.
Keep breathing softly, compassionately. Let whatever feelings are there, pain and tears, anger and love, fear and sorrow, come as they will. Touch them gently. Let them unravel out of your body and mind. Make space for any images that arise. Allow the whole story. Breathe and hold it all with tenderness and compassion. Kindness for it all, for you and for others.”
Ways to Celebrate and Memorialize:
- Write a Letter: Writing a letter to or from your companion animal that has passed can be a very soothing process to explore how you feel.
- Create a Scrapbook or Collage: Take pictures from your favorite memories with your animal and put them together. This can be a visual way to take a trip down memory lane.
- Create a Living Memorial: Plant something outside or get an indoor plant as a living symbol of your animal.
- Make a Donation: Donate to an organization or charity in honor of your animal to pass on their legacy. You can be creative with this, even if it is donating time by volunteering, or even doing charitable for one person instead of an organization.
- Frame a Special Photo: Put a special photo on display, or even have the photo or an item that belonged to your animal be with you while you listen to music, watch a movie, or do another activity you both enjoyed to do together.
- Read Some Poetry: Do some reading of meaningful poetry or passages that speak to you.
Thank you for honoring the lives of companion animals around the world with us. We welcome you to comment a picture of your beloved companion animal that has passed, as well as share their story and celebrate their life with us.
If you are struggling with the loss of your companion animal, you are not alone and we are here to support you. The veterinary social work team at Summit Veterinary Referral Ceremony offers individual counseling and support, as well as a pet loss support group twice per month. Please visit our website (https://www.summitvets.com/social-work.html), reach out via email to email@example.com for more information, or call us at: 253-983-1114, extension 116.